Proper Lifting Technique
- Squat to lift and lower. Do not bend at the waist.
- Keep lower back bowed in while bending over.
- Keep the weight as close to you as possible.
- Bow your back in and raise up with your head first.
- If you must turn, turn with your feet, not your body.
- Never jerk or twist!
- Put the weight down by keeping your low back bowed in.
- Keep your feet apart, staggered if possible.
- Wear shoes with non-slip soles.
Risk Factors for Back Injury
- Lifting with your back bowed out.
- Bending and reaching with your back bowed out.
- Slouched sitting.
- Twisting or Jerking movements.
- Lack of proper rest.
- Obesity and poor nutrition.
- Stressful work and living habits.